The present home of the Ridgefield Police Department is one of the town's historic mansions built before the turn of the century. This home was originally built as the residence of George Lounsbury who once served as Governor for the State of Connecticut. It then became the home of George Rockwell, a nephew of George Lounsbury, who served for many years as the Postmaster for the Town of Ridgefield.
The mansion was eventually purchased by the State of Connecticut and became Troop A Headquarters of the State Police in 1925. In the mid-1970's, the State Police moved from the mansion to Southbury and the Town of Ridgefield bought the property.
Initially, the town had a small police department which operated out of town hall with the First Selectman acting as Chief. In October of 1955 the town officially recognized an organized Ridgefield Police Department with its own chief. The department soon outgrew the space at town hall and when the town purchased the vacant State Police Headquarters, it was remodeled and became the home of the Ridgefield Police Department in November of 1976.
The Ridgefield Police Department has had the following five Chiefs of Police during its existence:
James Brady - 1955 to 1965
John F. Haight - 1965 to 1977
Thomas Rotunda - 1977 to 1999
Richard Ligi - 1999 to 2008
John Roche - 2008 to 2018