Trade Name Certificates

Connecticut State Law requires that anyone conducting business under an assumed name, must file a Trade Name Certificate in the Town Clerk's Office in the town where business is transacted. Unlike business entities filed on the Connecticut Business Registry (CONCORD), the filing of a trade name does not create a separate business entity. 

Corporations and Limited Liability Companies filed on CONCORD may do business under an assumed name other than the registered name of the business, but must file a trade name certificate with the town clerk. Effective July 1, 2019, such application must provide the town clerk with the name of the business, business identification number, and principal office address as reflected on CONCORD.

Corporations and Limited Liability Companies doing business under the business name registered with the Office of the Secretary of the State do not need to file a trade name with the town clerk. 

All people who are authorized to sign on behalf of the business must sign their name on the Trade Name Certificate. A Trade Name Certificate may be obtained by clicking on the Trade Name Certificate link below. Once it is completed, it is then filed in the Town Clerk's Office with a $10.00 recording fee. The notary fee is $5.00. The certified copy fee is $3.00. Payment must be made by cash or check.

Trade Name Certificate (D/B/A or Sole Proprietorship)

Trade Name Certificate (LLC or Corporation doing business as)

Dissolution of Trade Name

The Trade Name filing requirement does not apply to:

  • Partnerships, if the partnership name contains the true last name of at least one of the persons comprising said partnership
  • Limited partnerships which have registered with the Secretary of State
  • Limitied liability companies which have registered with the Secretary of State

For additional information please refer to Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 35-1

If you require additional information or would like more information about starting a business in Connecticut, please contact the Connecticut Licensing Info Center at 1-800-392-2122 or

Corporations, LLC and partnerships are required to register with the Secretary of State, Economic Development Department 1-860-509-6001.