What if I dispose of a motor vehicle after October 1?

You may be entitled to a credit or refund, if your vehicle is sold and not replaced, destroyed, stolen or removed from Connecticut and registered in another state. Your tax bill will be prorated by the Tax Assessor's office based on the month in which it was disposed. A request for adjustment must be made to the Tax Assessor's Office and written documentation regarding the disposal must be provided. Application for adjustment should be made as soon as the vehicle is disposed of since there is a statutory time limit on motor vehicle adjustments. Failure to apply on time will result in denial of the pro-rate.