Town of Ridgefield Town of Ridgefield Town of Ridgefield Town of Ridgefield
Calendars Contact Us Forms Home Links Site Map

<<October 2016>>
Sign Up To Receive Ridgefield Newsletters
Printer Friendly Version

Frequently Asked Questions of the Tax Collector

Tax Collector's Office
General Tax Information
Tax Calendar

This information is provided to answer questions you may have regarding your tax obligations, or the manner in which they are collected. While we have attempted to anticipate most of your questions, more information can be obtained by contacting the office of the Tax Collector, Jane Berendsen-Hill (203-431-2779). Questions related to the balances due, amounts paid and interest charged should be directed to the Tax Collector's Office.

Questions related to assessed value, motor vehicle additions or deletions, new construction, and benefit programs for the elderly or disabled should be directed to the Tax Assessor's Office (203-431-2706).

When should I expect my tax bill?
What if I refinance or payoff my mortgage? 
How is the tax (mill) rate established?
What types of property are assessed and subject to taxes?
How is the town budget allocated?
What is a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Tax Bill?
What if I dispose of a motor vehicle after October 1?
Do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle?
Do I have to pay motor vehicle tax if I move out of Connecticut?
Who do I pay motor vehicle tax to if I move within Connecticut?
What if I sold or closed my business but still received a personal property bill?
When does my tax bill become delinquent?
How can I make a payment?
What if I am delinquent on my real estate taxes?
What if I am delinquent on my motor vehicle and/or personal property taxes?

When is my sewer bill due?
How do I obtain information about what I paid in taxes last year?

Q. When should I expect my tax bill?

A. Property tax bills are sent out in late June of each year for the entire fiscal year.  If payments are due quarterly then four payment stubs are included.  No other bill will be sent.
  • Real Estate - tax bills totaling $100 or less for Real Property are paid in one installment due July 1. Bills greater than $100 are due in quarterly installments on July 1, October 1, January 1 and April 1. If you sold your real estate and receive a tax bill, please return it to the Tax Office.
  • Personal Property - tax bills of $100 or less are paid in one installment due July 1. Bills greater than $100 are due in quarterly installments on July 1, October 1, January 1 and April 1.
  • Motor Vehicles - taxes are due in a single installment due July 1. If you no longer own the motor vehicle on which the tax bill is based, please contact the Tax Assessor's office. Remember that when you receive your tax bill, nine months of the year covered by the bill have already passed.
Never ignore a tax bill. Taxes will remain due and interest will continue to accumulate until the bill is paid. If you fail to receive your tax bill, please call the Tax Collector's Office (203-431-2779).

Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt taxes or interest. You are responsible for obtaining your tax bill and paying the taxes on time.  No tax collector has the right to waive interest. (State Statutes 12-130, 12-142, 12-146)

If you don't receive a tax bill by the end of the first week in July please contact the Tax Office so we can supply you with a replacement.

Q. What if I refinance or payoff my mortgage?
A. If you refinance or payoff your mortgage and are now responsible for paying the taxes on your property please contact the Tax Collector's office immediately, so a Real Estate tax bill can be mailed to you.
Q. How is the tax (mill) rate established?

A. The Grand Levy is the amount of revenue in the Annual Town Budget, which must be raised by the property tax. The balance required is received from fees, state assistance and miscellaneous revenue. The Grand List is a listing of all taxable properties located within the Town on October 1, of the Grand list year. The property tax rate is expressed in mills or thousandths of a dollar. A tax rate (mill rate) of 26.69 mills is equivalent to $26.69 of taxes per $1,000 of assessed value. The tax rate is determined by dividing the Grand Levy by the Grand List.

Q. What types of property are assessed and subject to taxes?

A. Three types of property are assessed and subject to taxes: Real Estate, Motor Vehicles and Personal Property.

  • Real Estate - any land or buildings you own fall under this category.
  • Motor Vehicles - registered motorized or non-motorized vehicles, such as cars, trucks, motorcycles and trailers.
  • Personal Property - is a general category made up of machinery, equipment, furniture and fixtures, either owned or leased by business and industry as well as Motor Vehicles that are garaged but not registered in the State of Connecticut.
Q. How is the town budget allocated?

Town of Ridgefield Budget
July 1, 2016- June 30, 2017

The Town of Ridgefield mill rate for fiscal 2016-2017 has been set at 26.69.  A total budget of $139,013,087 has been approved for the fiscal year. $90,374,229 will support the operation of our education system. The balance is allocated for General Government, Police, Fire, Public Works, Parks and Recreation, Debt Service and Library. Of the total funds required, approximately 90.27% will come from collection of current and delinquent taxes. The balance comes from state government, licenses & permits, charges for services and interest from investments.

Q. What is a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Tax Bill?

A. Vehicles registered between October 2, and the following July 31, will appear on a "Supplemental Motor Vehicle List" provided to the Tax Assessor by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. The assessed value of each "Supplemental" vehicle is prorated based on the month of registration. Supplemental Motor Vehicle bills are due in one installment on January 1.

If you traded in a vehicle for a new vehicle and transferred the plates, all taxes must be paid on the original vehicle and a credit will be given on the supplemental motor vehicle bill for the new vehicle.

Q. What if I dispose of a motor vehicle after October 1?

A. You may be entitled to a credit or refund, if your vehicle is sold and not replaced, destroyed, stolen or removed from Connecticut and registered in another state. Your tax bill will be prorated by the Tax Assessor's office based on the month in which it was disposed. A request for adjustment must be made to the Tax Assessor's Office and written documentation regarding the disposal must be provided. Application for adjustment should be made as soon as the vehicle is disposed of since there is a statutory time limit on motor vehicle adjustments. Failure to apply on time will result in denial of the pro-rate.

Q. Do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle?

A. Yes. All tax rules apply to leased vehicles. However, the bill is mailed directly to the leasing company since leased cars are registered in the company's name. If you terminate your lease it is very important that you provide the Tax Assessor's with a return of plate receipt or a letter from your insurance company showing the vehicle cancelled from your policy as soon as possible.

Q. Do I have to pay motor vehicle taxes if I move out of Connecticut?

A. Motor Vehicle Taxes are due for the period the vehicle was registered in Connecticut since October 1, so if you moved before the time you received your tax bill in July, you must still contact the Tax Assessor's office to let them know you moved out of state so they can prorate the bill. Make sure you notify the Dept. of Motor Vehicles as soon as you move and also let the previous Tax Collector's Office have your new address as well.

Q. What if I sold or closed my business but still received a personal property tax bill?

A. If you sold or closed your business before October 1st please contact the Tax Assessor at 203-431-2706 to remove this bill. If you closed or sold your business after October 1st this bill is due and payable in full.

Q. When does my tax bill become delinquent?

A. Taxes must be paid within one month of the due date to avoid interest or penalty. Delinquent Taxes are subject to interest at the rate of 1 1/2 % per month or part thereof($2.00 minimum), from the original due date of the tax. In addition to the interest, all lien fees on real estate and collection costs on motor vehicle and personal property are the obligation of the taxpayer. All delinquent Motor Vehicle taxes are reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You will not be able to register any vehicle in your name, until all taxes, interest and collection costs are paid in full. In order to obtain a release for registration, all delinquent Motor Vehicle taxes must be paid in cash, certified check, bank check or money order.

Q. How can I make a payment?
  • You may pay all taxes in person by coming to the Tax Collector's Office in the Town Hall at 400 Main Street during our regular office hours of 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday and the last Saturday before the last day to pay from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon as well as the last day to pay without penalty until 7:00 pm.
  • You may also mail your tax payment to: Tax Collector, PO Box 299, Ridgefield, CT 06877-0299. If you want a receipt please send a stamped self-addressed envelope. However, you can use your cancelled check as a receipt. Make checks payable to: "Tax Collector, Town of Ridgefield".
  • You may pay by credit or debit card for a fee online or by phone at 844-200-2032. 
  • You may pay your bills online.

    Please note that only online payments made through the town's online provider are considered on time if initiated by the deadline.  All other online payments MUST be received in the office by the deadline to avoid interest.

    When paying bills online do NOT wait until the last day to pay. The Town of Ridgefield is not responsible for website failure, power failure or internet errors.

Q. What if I am delinquent on my real estate taxes?

A. The Tax Office attempts to send out a "Delinquency Notice" after each installment as a reminder. In addition, if not paid by the last business day in May, tax liens are filed against all properties on which there is a delinquent real estate tax according to State Statute 12-172. Postmark WILL NOT be honored, funds must be received by that date. There is a $24.00 charge to release each lien, regardless of the delinquent amount due. At the time of payment, all interest, taxes and fees must be paid before the lien can be released.

Q. What if I am delinquent on my motor vehicle and/or personal property taxes?

A. Interest on delinquent taxes is charged at statutory interest rates.  Current interest is 18% per annum or 1 1/2% per month or part thereof with a minimum interest charge of $2.00.  All delinquent Motor Vehicle and Personal Property taxes will be sent to a collection agency.  A collection fee of 15% will be added to the amount of taxes and interest due.

Q. When is my sewer use bill due?

A. The sewer use bills are sent out and are due September 1. Bills over $500.00 are paid in two installments, the first half in September and the second half in March. If payment is not made, a lien on the property is filed with the Town Clerk.

Q. How do I obtain information about what I paid in taxes last year?

A. If you need the amount of taxes you paid in a certain calendar year for income tax purposes you can contact the Tax Collector's office by calling 203-431-2779 or by email at We can send a payment history report for any year you may need.  This information may also be obtained online using the View or Pay Tax Bill button.

Copyright © 2016 Town of Ridgefield, Connecticut. All Rights Reserved
[Site Map] [Home] [Contact] [Employee Intranet]
Powered By QScend Technologies, Inc.